Thames Valley Police is warning West Berkshire residents to be vigilant after an increase in theft of bicycles in the area from bike racks in town centres and from sheds and garages.
Follow these simple steps in order to reduce the risk of having your bike stolen:-
- Get a good bike lock. Hardened steel D-Shape or check out www.soldsecure.com for certified locks
- Always lock your bike, even if you are leaving it for a few minutes-even if it is just outside your house.
- Lock your bike to an immoveable object- e.g a bike rack or lamp post or something solid if it is inside a shed or garage.
- Secure removable wheels and take smaller parts with you (lights, quick release saddles)
- Have your bike security marked or engraved.
- Register your bike at www.immobilise.com
- Check that your bike is covered by your home insurance
- Don’t park your bike in isolated or dimly-lit places.
- If you do see anyone acting suspiciously around bicycles call the 24-hour Police Enquiry Centre immediately on 101 or if a crime is in progress dial 999.
For more information on bicycle security including a video on how to lock up your bike safely visit http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/bike-theft